Some questions are tricky to
answer. Like the one I got from a 45 year old gentleman whom I diagnosed with
lung cancer. I caught him smoking just after he completing his chemotherapy
session (to treat his cancer!). I was unhappy that he had not learned his lesson,
after having a life threatening cancer, and he had still not quit smoking! He
said he was puffing his worries away and blatantly asked me “Now why should I
quit smoking? Jo hona tha woh toh ho gaya! “
Some people would
walk away from this scene and leave him to his luck. But I decided to persuade
him. “Do you think this is it? You feel this is the worst thing that could
happen? No!!” Sadly this is a common misconception. Smoking in any form (and
any amount) - cigarette, bidi, hukkah, chillum etc is highly dangerous. Smoking
results in a very high chance of getting cancer of almost all organs of the
body. It can cause hundreds of different illnesses related to one’s vital
organs, i.e. heart, lungs, stomach, bones, brain etc. “I know all this!” he
exclaimed. I began to think, “This is not helping”. I asked him why people
smoke. He said it was for pleasure,
arousal, enhanced vigilance, an improved performance, relief of anxiety or
stress but also mostly out of habit. I started wondering what started this
vicious habit. Was it peer pressure, and observing people smoke around
especially in movies that encouraged these smokers? “Why should I worry about these
things”, he said. I replied, “you should”. You may be able to control your
cancer and live longer thanks to the good treatment available, but breathing
problems, cough, and chest pains will make your life miserable. Your heart and
lungs which have already been weakened will start going into organ failure. Breathing
may become difficult without medicines or sometimes without a ventilator. A
paralytic stroke may leave you so helpless that you wouldn’t be able to lift a
cigarette, leave alone other tasks. You can get cancers of other organs, which
can make even daily chores of swallowing food and water, passing urine,
defecating extremely difficult. Cigarette burns every part of your body like
itself and may leave you bedridden and helpless without support. This lung
cancer may not kill you before you experience any of the other dreadful
consequences of smoking. Every pack of cigarette says it can cause cancer, you
thought it will never affect you, but it did, and so can any of the other organ
problems. Quitting smoke at any age will only add to health benefits. Chemical
disturbances in your body may take a few weeks to resolve, but you have to try.
You
will never be prepared for the suffering it can cause and the economic impact
it has on you and your family. Also did you ever think that, when you see your
14 year old son emulating you what will say to him?
“Ouch” he
said, as the cigarette burned his finger. This burn will heal but other
problems may not. Quit today, right now, you’ll get all the help you need from
doctors, but everything depends on whether you are motivated enough to quit.
I left the scene, with the hope that not only
will he stop smoking but also motivate others to stop. But the question always
troubles me when someone asks now why should I quit smoking? Jo hona tha
who toh ho gaya!
No comments:
Post a Comment