When
I visited my village Jakhau (in Kutch, Gujarat), few months back, I introduced
myself to a few people and said that I am a chest physician. One of them pondered
for a while and said, “oh, so you are a cardiologist”. I said “no no, I am a lung specialist, a
pulmonologist, a respiratory physician”. After a couple of minutes he came back
and asked what specialist are you exactly?
So I asked him what is Sachin Tendulkar’s specialty? He gave a shocked
look (questioning my intelligence) and said that he is probably the best
batsman world has ever seen. So I went on explaining that like in cricket we
have specialist batsman, bowlers, wicket keepers, for human body we have
specialists for every organ-system. Then I realized that this question is not
limited to my remote village!
Today
every new thing, new discovery, new inventions have global reach via the
newspapers, internet, television and print media. New ideas and upcoming
specialties in any field becomes visible to the world in no time. But
unfortunately, some things still go unnoticed. In medicine (as a whole) there
are newer and newer specialties and sub specialties coming up, in short you
will get specialist for every organ in nearby future. Most organs of your body
have the privilege of a specialist looking after them. Likewise me and doctors
like me are specialists which take care of your lungs. When you get chest pain
you rush to doctor thinking (and worried) that it might be related to your
heart. You shower them with 100 questions about “your heart”. But what you
forget that there is another organ besides “your heart” which needs equal
importance, “your lungs”. They are your source of oxygen, probably the most
element for your survival!
Lungs
not only provide you oxygen, but filter out a lot of impurities (like kidney).
It is probably the most exposed organ of your body, to the external
environment. Today with rising pollution, overcrowding, poor ventilation, increasing
vehicular traffic, and less time to exercise, all your organ systems are
getting affected. I feel that the lungs bear the most damage. Thankfully, God
has made them miraculously resilient to damage but they are not invincible. Smoking,
either by you or your friend/colleague can damage your lungs the most. Improper
diet, both in terms of quality and quantity, are making people more prone to
infections and lungs are getting affected the most. Tuberculosis, an ancient
illness, still ranks in the top ten causes that kills youth. World Health
Organization has projected COPD, i.e. chronic obstructive lung disease, to be
the number 3rd killer globally in coming years. Asthma, such a
common (and easily managaeble) problem goes un-noticed for many years, been
regarded as cough/allergy and many other names. I can go on and on about the
lung diseases which kill or atleast reduce your quality of life. But most of
you know all this, right?
Then
why am I talking to you about it? Sadly, when I see a patient with a
respiratory problem, the disease is in its advanced stage and I am left with
very few options to treat (most of the chest physicians will agree with me on
this). Respiratory medicine is one of the newest specialties and it is growing
day by day. Newer inventions and developments in this field are making life
easier for patients with respiratory problems.
After
a long discussion, finally that gentleman in my village understood who I am,
and what I do. I know I still have to be prepared for the same question again “What
specialist are you?”, but, well, now you know my answer!
No comments:
Post a Comment