Wednesday, 27 March 2013

How can “I” get TB?


Many a times I have said those three words which causes even an optimistic and cheerful person to frown, worry, anxious, be depressed, angry and most commonly in denial… “You have tuberculosis”.  What follows is a series of questions and doubts on the doctor who dared to utter these words.
How can “I” get TB? I eat well, exercise regularly, live in a plush home with excellent facilities, no dust or dirt exposure and no contact with sick people…basically what they mean to say is I am very rich… How can “I” get TB?
Lets get some facts straight. Tuberculosis aka TB aka kshay rog, is an infection caused by a bug called Mycobacterium tuberculosis. It commonly affects the lung, but can present in any form whatsoever in any organ. You have to take a combination of drugs for 6-9 months to be cured.  So what is so dreadful about it? Why are people afraid of it?
Some studies say that more than 2/3rd of our Indian population is infected with this bug. But just by infection it does not cause disease. It stays with you and dies with you. It causes disease when your body immunity goes low. Say because of diabetes, kidney disease, certain medicines taken, and most commonly in today’s fast life, poor attention to regular healthy diet and exercise. Even if you follow everything correctly you may still get the disease if the bacterial load to which you are exposed is high. TB is NOT spread through shaking someone’s hand, sharing food, touching bed linens or toilet seats. Most common route of spread is when you inhale the bug from person suffering from TB. TB bug can sometimes stay alive in the air for a few hours, especially in small places with no fresh air. Fresh air and sunlight make it harder for TB germs to stay alive. The fresh air scatters the germs and the sunlight kills them. So that’s why it is common in overcrowded areas, and people with poor nutritional status.
But again, how can “I” get TB? Probably the bug was in your body since a long time and was waiting for the right time to cause the disease.
Now what do I do?
Firstly, accept the fact that you have TB. Trust your doctor. Take a second opinion if you like, but accept it. The diagnosis of TB is based on a series of tests, first to confirm and secondly, (if required) to identify the type of TB bug and whether it is the dreadful “Resistant TB bug”. Ask your doctor about the appropriate tests required, about the disease, whether you can spread it to others, treatment options and possible side effects of the medicines. Some lifestyle and dietary changes may be required. Your doctor will be more than happy to clear all your doubts. Cultivate good habits like covering your mouth and nose while coughing or sneezing (do it even if you don’t have TB). Take your medicines regularly and for the duration advised. Report to the doctor immediately in case you experience any side effects of the medicines taken. TB is an infection which can be treated, if you take appropriate and regular treatment. Even the dreadful “drug resistant TB”, has better outcomes with regular treatment.
I am sure that whenever I utter those “three words” again, I will still get that big question with a doubtful expression on the face, and many more questions, as I usually get, but now you know some of the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment